Registration Overrides for Faculty
A registration override indicates that you have given permission for a student to bypass certain enrollment restrictions that
would otherwise prevent the student from registering for your course. After issuing an override, it
is still necessary for the student to register him/herself into the course.
Before you begin, you must check with your department administrator to determine which, if any,
overrides can be issued for courses in that department. Some departments may have paper force-add forms that instructors may sign. Paper Force Adds must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar by the last day to add for processing.
Note the following departmental requirements:
- School of Management: courses may not be overridden by instructors—direct students to
the SOM Office of Academic and Career Services to obtain an override for SOM courses.
- School of Public Policy: courses may not be overridden by instructors—direct students to
the SPP Student Services office to obtain an override for SPP courses.
- Psychology: courses may not be overridden by instructors—direct students to the
Psychology Department to obtain an override for any Psychology course.
- Mathematics: 100-level math courses may not be overridden by instructors—direct
students to the Mathematics Department to obtain an override.
- Log on Patriot Web
- Select "Faculty and Advisor Services"
- Select "Registration Overrides"
- Select the term and click "Submit"
- Enter the student's GNumber and click “Submit”. If you do not know the student's Gnumber, you may search by entering the student's first
and/or last names in the appropriate boxes and select a search type.
- The full name of the student you selected will display, and you will be asked to verify this
selection. If you searched by name, multiple selections may be returned. In this case, you
must select the correct student from the drop-down list. Click "Submit" to confirm your selection.
- The Registration Overrides page will display. In the Registration Overrides table, select the
type of override you wish to issue from the Override drop-down list. In order to bypass multiple conditions,
you must issue more than one override.
- MOST COMMONLY USED OVERRIDES
- Capacity: permits enrollment in a course section that has reached
capacity, regardless of a waitlist option or the student's waitlist status.
Note: Please be mindful of room capacity when issuing Closed Course overrides. Contact your department scheduling coordinator to verify room capacity if you wish to over-enroll your course by more than a couple students.
- CRTL/RESTR: permits enrollment in a course section that is restricted to certain colleges, majors or classifications.
- PQTEXT – Overrides the prerequisite and test score error. Contact your department before using this override.
- In the Registration Overrides table, select the course for which the override is being issued from
the Course drop-down list, then click "Submit".
- You will be asked to confirm the override and course you selected for this student. Click "Submit" to confirm your selection. A confirmation message will display to indicate that your override was successfully issued.
The override will now appear in the Current Student Overrides table.
NOTE: Overrides cannot be deleted in Patriot Web; if you wish to revoke an override, you
must contact your department to have it deleted in the Banner system.