Active Duty Military, Veterans, and Military Dependents

Military Specific Domicile Information

There are multiple state and federal provision that allow students to qualify for in-state tuition benefits.

The best way to determine if you qualify under state or federal provision is to submit an appeal.

The one year waiting period required of all other new residents after establishing Virginia domicile is waived for:

  • Active duty military residing in Virginia
  • Veterans
  • Surviving spouses
  • The dependent spouse or dependent child of an individual listed above.

Spouses of a military member may qualify for in-state tuition by:

  • Establishing Virginia domicile
  • By claiming dependency on the military member who has established Virginia domicile, or
  • Through a military exception provision.

Additional Information on the SCHEV website:

Section 702 of the Veteran’s Access, Choice, and Accountability Act

Mason complies with Section 702 of the Veteran’s Access, Choice, and Accountability Act (PDF). The Veteran’s Choice Act grants in-state tuition to:

  • Student must apply each semester in conjunction with submitting a Veterans Registration Reporting Form (VRRF) 
  • A veteran who was discharged or released after a minimum of 90 days of military service less than three years before enrollment.
  • An individual entitled to assistance under the Post-911 GI Bill (Chapter 33) due to a relationship with a veteran.
  • Children or surviving spouses who qualify for the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who enroll within three years of an active-duty service member’s death in the line of duty.
  • Anyone using benefits under the Fry Scholarship who lives in Virginia.
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits who lives in Virginia; the person making the transfer must be a member of the uniformed service on active duty.
  • Chapter 33 beneficiaries residing in Virginia.

For more information, read the Veterans Choice fact sheet (PDF) published by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).

Determining Eligibility

If you’re unsure of your status, contact the Office of Military Services (OMS) at 703-993-1316. You can also check the benefits pages on this site, which might offer some guidance.

You’ll also need to submit a Veterans Registration Reporting Form (VRRF) requesting certification of your VA benefits. Indicate on the VRRF that you would like to apply for in-state tuition under the provisions of Section 702. You must provide source documentation in conjunction with the VRRF. These documents include:

  1. Certificate of Eligibility for VA Benefits.
  2. Current military orders.
  3. Individual DD 214, the proof of service of the person from whom the entitlement arose. This person must have been separated from service within three years of initial enrollment, and must have served at least 90 days active duty.
  4. Proof of Residency in Virginia. The residency requirement could be satisfied via off-campus housing within Virginia, on-campus housing, temporary housing, rental or ownership housing, or documented confirmation of a non-contract residence with another individual.

Once your status has been confirmed, a tuition exemption will be applied to the student account for the current semester. This benefit is not automatic; you must apply for it each semester.

Contact the Office of Military Services for information regarding veteran benefits, 702 qualification, or the veteran certification process.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


This web site and accompanying materials have been prepared by the George Mason University Office of the University Registrar for informational purposes only, and may not be construed as "Legal Advice" or an official determination of eligibility for in-state tuition by the Office of the University Registrar.

Because this web site is not intended to be a determination of eligibility for in-state tuition, the reader should not rely on any information provided in this website as such.

It is incumbent on the student to apply for change in domiciliary status on becoming eligible for such change. Changes in domiciliary status shall only be granted prospectively from the date such application is received.