Active Duty Military, Veterans, and Military Dependents

Veterans residing in Virginia may be eligible for in-state tuition under a veteran exception provision.  Eligibility for the in-state tuition rate may be available to veterans residing in Virginia who were discharged from the military for reasons other than “dishonorable.” Please review the Frequently Asked Questions below to determine eligibility. For additional information, please go to SCHEV’s Financial Benefits for Military Veterans and their Families.

Newly admitted veteran students classified as out-of-state should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the appropriate graduate unit to see whether they qualify.  Continuing students (i.e., students in their second semester of enrollment or later at GMU) should complete the Military Supplemental Form (below) and return it to the Certification Section along with the documentation listed on the form.

Supplemental Forms

Summer 2018

Fall 2018



This web site and accompanying materials have been prepared by the George Mason University Office of the University Registrar for informational purposes only, and may not be construed as "Legal Advice" or an official determination of eligibility for in-state tuition by the Office of the University Registrar.

Because this web site is not intended to be a determination of eligibility for in-state tuition, the reader should not rely on any information provided in this website as such.

It is incumbent on the student to apply for change in domiciliary status on becoming eligible for such change. Changes in domiciliary status shall only be granted prospectively from the date such application is received.