Announcement: Expanded Eligibility Effective July 1, 2020. See Tuition Equity Provision for High School Completers for more information.
The Request for Tuition Reclassification form must be submitted no later than the first day of the semester for which you are appealing. After the deadline, the form will no longer be available online.
|Fall||April 1||First day of the fall semester|
|Summer||April 1||First day of the summer semester (1st session)|
|Spring||November 1||First day of the spring semester|
Level 1 – Request for Tuition Reclassification
How to Apply
- Complete the Request for Tuition Reclassification Form (CLOSED for Spring 2023)
- Check your Mason email account regularly for requests for additional information, and your decision.
- Late requests will not be accepted.
About the Level 1 Appeal
- Decisions are generally made in 30 business days.
- Only current continuing students or newly admitted students who have indicated their intent to enroll may appeal.
- Mason cannot accept appeals for previous terms.
- Filing a domicile appeal does not remove your obligation to pay your tuition.
- If your appeal is granted, you may request a refund for the difference between the in-state and out-of-state rates, or apply the credit balance to the next semester.
- A change in residency can result in an adjustment or cancellation of your Financial Aid Award. Contact the The Office of Student Financial Aid with any aid related questions.
- All communications, including decisions, will be sent to your Mason email account, so please check it regularly.
Level 2 – Reconsideration Appeal
- If the Certification Section affirms your denial, you may request further reconsideration within 15 calendar days of receiving your decision.
- Instructions for submitting a Level 2 appeal will be included in your decision.
Level 3 – Request for Final University Review
- If your request for reconsideration is denied, you may request a final review by the Domicile and Tuition Classification Appeals Committee within 15 calendar days of receiving your decision.
- Instructions for submitting a Level 3 appeal will be included in your decision.
The Code of Virginia
§ 23.1-510.c. states:
“Any party aggrieved by a final administrative decision has the right to review in the circuit court for the jurisdiction in which the relevant institution is located. A petition for review of the final administrative decision shall be filed within 30 days of receiving the written decision. In any such action, the institution shall forward the record to the court, whose function is only to determine whether the decision reached by the institution could reasonably be said, on the basis of the record, not to be arbitrary, capricious, or otherwise contrary to law.”
This web site and accompanying materials have been prepared by the George Mason University Office of the University Registrar for informational purposes only, and may not be construed as "Legal Advice" or an official determination of eligibility for in-state tuition by the Office of the University Registrar.
Because this web site is not intended to be a determination of eligibility for in-state tuition, the reader should not rely on any information provided in this website as such.
It is incumbent on the student to apply for change in domiciliary status on becoming eligible for such change. Changes in domiciliary status shall only be granted prospectively from the date such application is received.