How are classrooms assigned each semester?
Posted: April 10, 2018 at 1:07 pm
University classrooms are assigned by the Academic Scheduling office in two phases.
Initial Room Assignment
Once department scheduling coordinators submit their edits during the initial scheduling deadline for classroom placement, software (a component of 25Live) is then used to automatically assign classrooms to thousands of sections. The software takes into account the following parameters when determining where to place sections:
- Section capacity
- Requested classroom technology
The software does NOT consider any of the following when assigning classrooms:
- Past room placements for a specific section
- Offering history for a specific section
- Past enrollment numbers for a specific section
Once this process is complete, the Academic Scheduling staff then reviews all of the data to ensure that no single department lost out (did not receive a room) on a scale more significant than any other. Additionally, the entire university class schedule and all open space are reviewed and assessed to determine whether any more classes might be hand-placed into rooms. The departments are then given a second opportunity to review their schedules and make changes (see Subsequent Room Assignment).
The entire process is designed to ensure fair and equitable room placement across every single department and college.
Subsequent Room Assignment
Once the initial room assignments are released back to the academic units for review, any remaining available space is then allocated on a first-come/first-served basis via the department scheduling coordinator’s requests (made in CourseLeaf CLSS). Sections which did not receive a room assignment must be resolved by the department scheduling coordinator via the following options:
- Request an alternate time (subject to room availability).
- Swap classes internally within department.
- Eg if Class A did not receive a room but is deemed high priority, the department may request that the room previously given to its own Class B instead be given to Class A.
Sections may only remain on the schedule if they have a room placement.