Study Elsewhere

Posted: April 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm, Last Updated: December 14, 2016 at 11:51 am

Students are permitted to take courses elsewhere under unusual circumstances—these circumstances do not include scheduling or commuting convenience or financial (lower cost) reasons.

When seeking to enroll in credit courses at another collegiate institution concurrently, students enrolled at George Mason must complete advanced written permission or they may not receive transfer credit for course work taken at another institution (this rule also applies to courses taken through the consortium).

This process may require a significant amount of time; therefore, it is important that the student allows adequate lead-time to complete the process.

When seeking approval, a student must provide the following for the course(s) requested:

  1. Copy of the catalog
  2. Course number
  3. Complete catalog description

There is a minimum grade requirement for courses taken at another institution (except a consortium institution). An undergraduate course must be passed with a “C” or better. A graduate course must be passed with a “B” or better.

After you complete the course, you must have an official transcript from that institution sent in a sealed envelope to:

Records Section
Office of the University Registrar
4400 University Drive, MS 3D1
Fairfax, VA 22030.

George Mason students may register for a course through the consortium, providing the course is not offered at George Mason during the same semester and is not exempt from consortium registration at the visited institution. Additional information on how to register for a consortium course may be obtained from the Consortium Registration section.

Search Topics

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Important Dates