How does this legislation impact me as a student?
This law prevents Mason from releasing your email, phone number or address under the directory information exception of the Family Educational and Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) unless:
- The disclosure is to students enrolled at Mason for educational purposes or institution business, and you have not opted out of such disclosure or,
- You have affirmatively consented in writing to such disclosure.
Why Should I allow Mason to share my information?
- Will allow other students to search for your email address in People Finder.
- Faculty and staff may be unable to share your contact information with others, such as a prospective employer.
- You may not receive information about educational opportunities from third parties.
How can I provide consent?
- Complete the Opt-In Form.
- Consent to share you information may be revoked at any time.
How do I obtain another student’s contact information?
- Mason school officials may share a students contact information for educational purposes or for university business.
- If you would like to contact a student for any other reason, the best way to obtain their contact information is to ask them directly.
As a student worker, teaching assistant or graduate research assistant can I send and receive group emails to other students?
- Yes, if the disclosure is to other currently enrolled students or Mason officials.