Students will receive an email when their diploma has been mailed. Diplomas are mailed to students approximately 6-8 weeks after each conferral date.

All diplomas are mailed to the diploma address you provide in Patriot Web when you apply to graduate.  You must be in good financial standing with the University and have no holds on your account in order to receive your diploma.

The name of your major, for both bachelor’s and master’s programs, will appear on your diploma. Academic disciplines for doctoral graduates, however, do not appear on the diploma. Concentrations will be listed on your diploma only if you graduate from one of the following degree programs: Bachelor of Individualized Study, Bachelor of Arts or Science in Integrative Studies, Bachelor of Applied Science, and Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies.

George Mason (non-Law) diplomas, both graduate and undergraduate, measure 10 inches by 14 inches in portrait format.  Certificate diplomas are 8.5 inches by 11 inches in landscape format.

Diploma Name

Your diploma name MUST reflect your name of record during the last term of attendance at George Mason. To change your name of record, including adding a middle name or a suffix, you must provide legal documentation in the form of a birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, or a court document. Please go to the Change of Name page for more information. Accent marks may be requested using the Diploma Accent Mark Request form.

Diploma Address

You must verify that your diploma address is correct. Please go to the Update Diploma Mailing Address page for detailed instructions and contact Graduation Services at graduate@gmu.edu with any questions about the delivery of your diploma. If you have moved and your diploma has already been ordered, please set up a forwarding address with the post office.


Students have the opportunity to change their diploma mailing address in Patriot Web. Please update your address within 3 weeks of the conferral date to avoid mailing to an invalid address.

Please follow these steps in order to update your diploma mailing address in Patriot Web:

To insert a new diploma address:

  1. Login to Patriot Web.
  2. Click on “Personal Information.”
  3. Click on “Personal Profile.”
  4. Scroll down to locate the “Address” block. Click “Add New” in the upper right hand corner.
  5. Choose “Diploma” in the “Type of Address” drop-down menu.
  6. Enter your address information and click “Add.”

Note:  If an old diploma address exits, you can edit it by clicking on the “Edit address” icon under the existing diploma address.

Minors will not appear on your Mason diploma but will appear on your official academic transcript.


The university offers alumni the opportunity to order a *replacement copy of their original George Mason diploma. The basic fee for a non-expedited order mailed to an address in the U.S. is $52.50 per diploma.

For both U.S. and international destinations, expedited processing and delivery services are available for an additional fee as outlined online.

All replacement orders must be made through Patriot Web or through Parchment. To order through Patriot Web, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to Patriot Web (Please make sure that you allow pop-ups from this site).
  2. Click the ‘Student Services’ tab.
  3. Click ‘Student Records.’
  4. Click ‘Order Replacement Diploma.’

If you do not have access to your Patriot Web account, you can order your replacement diploma through Parchment. Click on the image below:

Diploma Name

Your diploma name MUST reflect your name of record during the last term of attendance at George Mason. If your legal name has changed since you graduated and you wish to have it appear on your replacement diploma, you will need to first have it updated in the Mason record. This process is explained on the Change of Name page.

Degree Verification

If you are requesting a copy of your diploma for the purpose of degree verification, we recommend that you first make sure that some other document will not serve the purpose. Companies and government agencies are usually looking for official proof of graduation. An actual diploma is needed only in rare cases involving foreign governments. A verification or transcript can be obtained for less cost and in less time.

Another option is to have a photocopy of your original diploma authenticated and notarized. For more information on that process, see the Certifications page.


*All replacement diplomas will have the word “Reissued” printed in small type at the bottom.

*Replacement diplomas will contain the signatures of the current University President, Rector of the Board of Visitors, University Registrar, and may (depending upon the year of graduation) contain the signature of the University Provost in lieu of the college or school’s Dean.

Load More