Why am I being charged out of state tuition?

  • You will be charged the out-of-state tuition rate if  admissions classified you as out-of-state, or you did not complete the Application for In-State Rates when you applied to Mason.

Who can apply for reclassification?

  • All current continuing students or newly admitted students who have indicated their intent to enroll may appeal.

Are there exceptions for active duty, military, veterans, or their families?

Can I have my classification changed for previous semesters?

  • Mason cannot accept appeals for previous terms.

I filed an appeal and my tuition is due – do I have to pay?

  • Yes.  Filing a domicile appeal does not remove your obligation to pay your tuition, and meeting all payment deadlines.

If my appeal is granted, can I get a refund?

  • Yes.  If your appeal is granted, you may request a refund for the difference between the in-state and out-of-state rates, or apply the credit balance to the next semester.

Can changing my domicile effect my financial aid award?

  • Yes.  A change in residency can result in an adjustment or cancellation of your Financial Aid Award.  Contact the The Office of Student Financial Aid with any aid related questions.

Who can be considered a “legal guardian”?

  • A legal guardianship can only be created by court order.  Living with a relative other than your parents who supports you, or a power of attorney does not create a guardianship.

I transferred from another Virginia school, where I was in-state.  Why am I classified as out-of-state at Mason?

  • Admissions makes all initial decisions based on the information in your Application for In-State Rates.  If you do not agree with Admissions decision, you can submit an appeal.

I’m an F-1 student.  Can I qualify for in-state tuition?

One of my parents lives in Virginia, but the other does not.  Can I qualify for in-state tuition?

  • Maybe.  The domicile of a dependent student may be either the domicile of the parent with whom he resides, the parent who claims the student as a dependent for federal or Virginia income tax purposes, or the parent who provides the student substantial financial support.
  • If you submit an appeal, provide information regarding the parent that resides in Virginia.

I’m currently classified as in-state.  Can my classification change to out-of-state?

  • Yes.  Changes in your domicile, immigration status, or your parents domicile (if you are a dependent student) can result in a change in your classification.

What is the difference between a dependent and an independent student?

  • A student is a dependent if they are listed as a dependent on their parent(s), or legal guardians tax returns, or they receives substantial financial support (more than 50%) from them.
  • A married student whose spouse provides substantial financial support also can be a dependent student.
  • A student under the age of 24 on the first day of the semester or term is presumed to dependent unless the student meets one of the exceptions listed in the Virginia Code.
  • An “Independent student” means one whose parents have surrendered the right to his care, custody and earnings, do not claim them as a dependent on federal or state income tax returns, and have ceased to provide them substantial financial support.

How will I receive my decision?

  • All communications, including decisions, will be sent to your Mason email account, so please check it regularly.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email


This web site and accompanying materials have been prepared by the George Mason University Office of the University Registrar for informational purposes only, and may not be construed as "Legal Advice" or an official determination of eligibility for in-state tuition by the Office of the University Registrar.

Because this web site is not intended to be a determination of eligibility for in-state tuition, the reader should not rely on any information provided in this website as such.

It is incumbent on the student to apply for change in domiciliary status on becoming eligible for such change. Changes in domiciliary status shall only be granted prospectively from the date such application is received.